Re: Other Win32 TODO items?

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Other Win32 TODO items?
Date: 2003-11-03 03:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> To the best of my knowledge, only the command processor cares about
> this, and you can get around it by quoting the command - see
> my initdb.c for examples. (this is also why I pass PGDATA via the
environment and
> never via the command line - the Windows command processor is
> quite dumb about multiple quoted strings). AFAIK direct library calls
> like stat() or fopen() should accept forward slashes. It may be that
> libraries other than MSVCRT act differently, although that would be very
odd,
> even for M$.

They will, as long as there isn't a mix of forward and backward slashes,
which is currently the case in the backend code. Either canonicalize on
forward, or #define out backslashes in Win32. In either case, it is an
outstanding TODO item for postgres under win32.

> For now. I suspect that threading will be wanted before too long.

Threading'll bring in a bunch of other items (for instance, file handles +
memory leaks that currently are closed/recovered when the backend process
dies), but one step at a time :-)

Cheers,
Claudio

---
WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html