Re: Problem starting postgresql

From: ecaillava(at)interlap(dot)com(dot)ar
To: Selvam <selvam(at)netwxs(dot)com(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem starting postgresql
Date: 2001-07-27 12:46:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
OK Selvam:

I'm not just a teatcher, so I'm going to tell you the
way I've used:

You should make a little script called 'postgres', and
put it into /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory

This script ('postgres') says so:

su - 'postgres' -c 'postmaster -i -o -F
&'>  /home/postgres/pgsql/server.log 2>&

(in your case maybe " /var/lib/pgsql/server.log ")

Once done it, you must make
into /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc2.d/- a link (ln -s) called
'S98postgres' to this script /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres).

Make this link into /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc2.d if you start
your Linux in mode console -mode 2-

Hope it can help you...

Cheers  Sam

ecaillava(at)interlap(dot)com(dot)ar

SELVAM WROTE:

Mensaje citado por: Selvam <selvam(at)netwxs(dot)com(dot)my>:

> I have just installed PostgreSQL7.1.2. I am
> running Red Hat 7.1 I uninstalled the PostgreSQL
> distribution 7.0x which came together with it
> using RPM. I downloaded the RPMs for
> PostgreSQL7.1.2 using RPM. I started the
> postgresql service by typing
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start. The command
> successfully starts up the service. The problem
> comes after this. If I try to login to any
> database using psql, it works fine and has no
> complaints. But when I tried to access the
> database using the GUI client pgacess, it fails
> with the error message
> "ConnectDBStart()--connect..." and prompts me to
> check if the postmaster is started with -i
> option. Even when I write a java client to
> connect to the database through postgresql's
> jdbc, it fails with the same error.
>
> So I tried to start postmaster through command
> line by typing /usr/bin/posmaster -i -D
> /var/lib/pgsql/data. This starts the database as
> usual. I can connect to the database through
> psql, pgacess and a java cliet.Fine, now you may
> wonder what's the problem. The problem is how do
> I add this into the postgres service startup
> script which is in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.
> I tried adding the "-i" near the postmaster
> startup command within the script but when I run
> it by typing postgresql start, it fails.
>
> Can anyone please let me know how and where
> should I place the "-i" argument in the
> postgresql script? I will be eagerly awaitng a
> reply..
>
> Cheers
>
> Selvam

	Enviado via http://www.interlap.com.ar - Tu Email POP3 Gratis
     Ademas : programas, chat, letras de canciones, noticias y mucho mas
       Muda tu sitio a interlap ahora y obtene un  20% de descuento
                         y un mes de Publicidad Gratis

Sender-IP: 200.45.176.56