Re: how to migrate from SQL Server7 to PostgreSQL7??

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Anzo <anzo(at)kimo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to migrate from SQL Server7 to PostgreSQL7??
Date: 2001-04-27 14:16:15
Lists: pgsql-general
Quoting Anzo <anzo(at)kimo(dot)com>:

> hi there:
> i have a plan to migrate my company's database from ms sql server 7 to
> postgresql 7.
> i had try to use ms sql server's dts to export to postgresql.

DTS works quite well actually ;-)

> i download the odbc driver from and configure to my nt4
> server.
> i started to use dts in my sql server, when i choose the destination
> datasource and press "next" , then the error message occurred
> "Unexpected error occurred. The provider has returned an error result
> without an error message"
> can anybody give some helps ??

Check the odbc drivers config. Check things like Read only is not set. When I
tried DTS (May last year) I had to play with the psqlodbc settings, but once
found DTS worked like a dream.

One thing I do remember: Don't rely on DTS to create the tables. Get it to show
you the sql, then do the creation manually - it doesn't get the syntax correct.

> or i should try other solutions??
> thanx!!
> anzo
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Peter Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver:
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: