Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Date: 2010-01-27 10:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
2010/1/27 Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>:
> On 1/26/10 3:24 PM, David Christensen wrote:
>> -hackers,
>>
>> In the spirit of small, but hopefully useful interface improvement
>> patches, enclosed for your review is a patch for providing psql with a
>> \whoami command (maybe a better name is \conninfo or similar).  Its
>> purpose is to print information about the current connection, by default
>> in a human-readable format.  There is also an optional format parameter
>> which currently accepts 'dsn' as an option to output the current
>> connection information as a DSN.

On a first note, it seems like the check for the parameter "dsn" isn't
"complete". Without testing it, it looks like it would be possible to
run "\whoami foobar", which should give an error.

> oooh, I could really use this.  +1 to put it in 9.1-first CF.
>
> however, \conninfo is probably the better name.  And what about a

+1 on that name.

> postgresql function version for non-psql connections?

How could that function possibly know what the connection looks like
from the client side? Think NAT, think proxies, think connection
poolers.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/