Re: [HACKERS] list macro names

From: dg(at)informix(dot)com (David Gould)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] list macro names
Date: 1998-08-28 17:13:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I will, of course, be running pgindent on the source just before beta.
>
> I would also like to change a few of list macro names that I can never
> remember, and I am sure others have the same problem.

> lappend is good
>
> lcons should be ladd (adds to the front of the list, while lappend adds to end
But 'cons' is the absolute standard lisp nomemclature for this. And all these
operations are part of the lispish heritage of postgres.

> nconc should be lconcat, because it concats two lists
>
> lconsi becomes ladd_int

And this adds an integer arithemetically or listwise? Not less confusing, just
a different confusion.

> lappendi becomes lappend_int
>
> nreverse becomes lreverse
>
> set_difference becomes set_difference_int

Why is this more clear?

What is next, Hungarian notation?

> What do people think?

I think we should not rework code that everyone is getting used to unless
there is some functional reason.

-dg

David Gould            dg(at)informix(dot)com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects. -