Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org (Brett McCormick)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-questions(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell
Date: 1998-06-01 06:44:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Not to mention the fact that if perl (or mod_perl) is already running
> (and you're using a shared libperl), the library is already loaded.

Ok, my vote is to build regexes into the pgsql binary or into a .so that
we distribute. There should be no need to have perl installed on a system
to run postgresql. If we are going to extend the language to improve on
the very lame sql92 like clause, we need to have it be part of the system
that can be counted on, not something you might or might not have depending
on what else is installed.

-dg

David Gould           dg(at)illustra(dot)com            510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                      300 Lakeside Drive   Oakland, CA 94612
 - A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.