Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal
Date: 1998-03-24 19:27:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Speaking of data type removal, I was wondering if there were a better
> way to handle arrays of types.  From looking in the catalog, it
> appears that for each type, there is also declared a similar type,
> which is the array version.  It seems that arrays should be considered
> more flags on a field, than a field type in themselves.  Does this
> make sense to anybody else?

Is an array the same thing as a scalar?

What would be the benefit of making arrays "flags on a field" instead of
a "field type in themselves". Seriously, how would this improve _anything_?

The postgres type system is very flexible and powerful as is. What is the
problem this is trying to solve?

What is the motivation for data type removal?

David Gould            dg(at)illustra(dot)com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - Linux. Not because it is free. Because it is better.