Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal
Date: 1998-03-24 19:27:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Speaking of data type removal, I was wondering if there were a better
> way to handle arrays of types.  From looking in the catalog, it
> appears that for each type, there is also declared a similar type,
> which is the array version.  It seems that arrays should be considered
> more flags on a field, than a field type in themselves.  Does this
> make sense to anybody else?

Is an array the same thing as a scalar?

What would be the benefit of making arrays "flags on a field" instead of
a "field type in themselves". Seriously, how would this improve _anything_?

The postgres type system is very flexible and powerful as is. What is the
problem this is trying to solve?

What is the motivation for data type removal?

-dg

David Gould            dg(at)illustra(dot)com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - Linux. Not because it is free. Because it is better.