Re: Event Triggers reduced, v1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Event Triggers reduced, v1
Date: 2012-07-03 03:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Um, doesn't that require nonrectangular arrays?

> Doh. You're right: I keep forgetting that arrays have to be rectangular.

> Any suggestions on a sensible way to represent this?

Are there likely to be enough entries that storage efficiency actually
matters? If not, we could use a 2xN array of {key,allowed_value} pairs,
that is

{{thingy,item1},{thingy,item2},{otherthingy,foo},{otherthingy,bar}}

Or perhaps push these out into a separate table, along the lines
of
oid key allowed_value
and use an oidvector to list the selected values in a trigger entry?