Re: WIP: Automatic view update rules

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Automatic view update rules
Date: 2008-11-13 17:58:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> - Should this be an optional behavior? What if I don't WANT my view
> to be updateable?

That seems like a deal-breaker to me... many users could easily be
depending on views not being updateable. Views are generally always
thought of as read-only, so you should need to explicitly mark a view
as being updateable/insertable/deleteable.

It's tempting to try and use permissions to try and handle this, but
I don't think that's safe either: nothing prevents you from doing
GRANT ALL on a view with no rules, and such a view would suddenly
become updateable.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org