Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2
Date: 2006-06-17 00:26:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 13:33 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>> 2. Store the structures in AM's meta page. But heaps don't have meta pages.

> But perhaps they should? That sounds very similar to the idea of
> non-transactional pg_class data.

The disadvantage of putting this stuff into metapages is that then you
need some entirely new protocol for letting clients get at it (and
pg_dump, for one, needs to). I agree with putting it in a catalog.

An opaque bytea won't do though. What I'd suggest is something real
close to the format used for GUC parameters in ALTER DATABASE SET and
ALTER USER SET, ie, pairs of keyword/value strings. This way pg_dump
doesn't need very much smarts about what the values are that it's
dumping.