Re: getting 'order by' working with unicode locale? ICU?

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting 'order by' working with unicode locale? ICU?
Date: 2004-12-18 01:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On torsdag, december 16, 2004 09.20.50 +0100 Peter Eisentraut
<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>> Not on FreeBSD, since collation is not implemented in unicode
>> locales. One way would be to implement it in the OS, of course...
>
> Try taking the locale definition files from another system and use
> localedef to build locale files for your local system.  The localedef
> source files are supposed to be portable.

As far as I understand, there is no code in FreeBSD to specify the
collating order for multibyte locales. Would ot be easier to fix the OS or
hack ICU into PostgreSQL?

A bit off topic: I'm still dreaming of a way to get "order by" working with
different locales for the same database (different clients getting
different collation depending on their locale choice). Now this is
hardcoded at initdb time. Is there any way this could work, ever, in
PostgreSQL, or will I have to sort client side?

Regards,
Palle