Re: Where is PLbash ??

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Friedrich Dodt <friedrich(dot)dodt(at)efonds24(dot)de>,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is PLbash ??
Date: 2002-06-25 17:52:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> Peter, can we add PL/sh into CVS for 7.3?

I'm kind of against adding PL/sh to CVS, ever; and I believe Peter is
too, else he'd have done it already.

I know you will say that PL/sh is not any more dangerous than the
untrusted versions of plperl and pltcl, but there is a difference.
PL/sh has *no reason to exist* other than to implement
non-transaction-safe outside-the-database behavior; there is no safe
behavior for which it is the preferred tool.  I think making it easily
available is a bad idea, because people *will* shoot themselves in the
foot with it.