Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 07:34:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Marc G. Fournier<scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:

> IMHO ... yes ... but, I think his qualifying things as "if a raonable
> alternative can be found" applies here ... if someone is willing ot step up
> and contribute a 'none labelled' version, that is in our ftp server, then
> the link should be changed ... but I'm not sure how likely that will be to
> happen ... ?  Not sure how much work it is to make an installer ...

Well, to put this into perspective, not including ongoing development
time, in the lead up to 8.4, we had 3 people working full time for a
month or so on QA and subsequent development work. They tested the
installers in depth on somewhere between 20 and 30 different OSs. We
also have to test in multiple scenarios - for example, on Windows,
installing on a domain controller may have certain issues, as may
installing on a domain member. On some Linux distros, we may need to
ensure things work as they should under Gnome, KDE and XFCE.

Do not underestimate how much work building these installers actually is.

FWIW, in addition to monitoring the lists for any reported issues with
the PG installers (and fixing anything that crops up) that team is now
working flat out QAing updates to a bunch of the add-on components
that are offered through StackBuilder, such as Npgsql, PostGIS, Slony
and the ApachePHP bundle that sits below phpPgAdmin.

--
Dave Page