Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-13 21:46:35
Lists: pgeu-general
Ciao Gabriele

On 13/01/2008, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> That's the case, for instance, of the Italian PostgreSQL Users Group as
> well. We have just one typology of members, standard members, and the
> annual fee is 25 euro. Running a non-profit organisation has some costs,
> and members accept it.

I think maybe we have some miscommunication between us here. My
understanding of what we all agreed in Prato was that PG-EU would be
an 'umbrella' organisation, supporting the regional user groups.

In that scenario, the only 'members' of PG-EU would be the regional
groups themselves, and the staff/volunteers running it.

Normal users would join their regional group, such as PostgreSQLFr or
the Italian PUG, and pay the appropriate membership.

Otherwise, many users will only join one or the other which would make
PG-EU and the regional groups competitors with each other.

For example, if PG-EU operated as a user group, why would I bother
joining it instead of the UK User Group which we're just trying to
setup? Or, should we just not bother with the UK group?

In the scenario I thought we'd agreed, the UK user group would take
membership from users and use some of that to pay for it's membership
in PG-EU. In return, PG-EU would provide legal status and banking
facilities, and as well as providing access to standardised flyers and
other materials, as well as t-shirts and fluffy elephants etc, bulk
purchased for the benefit of all member organisations.

Regards Dave