Re: Release stamping (Was: [CORE] Schedule for release?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release stamping (Was: [CORE] Schedule for release?)
Date: 2006-10-24 15:16:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>> Sorry - we're just talking about getting the version number
>> in there automatically to avoid it getting forgotten during
>> release bundling.

> I can see that being a good idea. But I don't see Toms ./configure
> solution working.

Why not? The shipped tarball would contain exactly the same
pg_config.h.win32 it does today; the only difference is that the
version info would've been inserted automatically instead of manually.
(The start of this discussion was my observation that pg_config.h.win32
contains multiple copies of the version info, and sooner or later
somebody would miss one while stamping a release.)

> What we could do is have the msvc build scripts edit the file and
> replace the version with something it reads from configure.in when run.

That's great if you're using msvc, but what about borland?