Re: Additional current timestamp values

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional current timestamp values
Date: 2006-03-21 00:04:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The patch as given strikes me as pretty broken --- it does not advance
>> statement_timestamp when I would expect (AFAICS it only sets it during
>> transaction start).

> Uh, it does advance:

But not once per statement --- in reality, you get a fairly arbitrary
behavior that will advance in some cases and not others when dealing
with a multi-statement querystring. Your example showing that it fails
to advance in a psql -c string shows this ... don't you think most
people would call that a bug?

If it's "statement" timestamp then I think it ought to advance once per
SQL statement, which this isn't doing. (As I already said, though, that
isn't the behavior I really want. My point is just that the code's
behavior is an extremely strange, nonintuitive definition of the word
"statement".)

> I have always been confused if
> statement_timeout times queries inside server-side functions, for
> example. I don't think it should.

That's exactly my point; I agree that we don't want it doing that,
but that being the case, "statement" isn't a great name for the units
that we are actually processing. We're really wanting to do these
things once per client command, or maybe per client query would be a
better name.