Shouldn't Natural JOINs Follow FK Constraints?

From: David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Shouldn't Natural JOINs Follow FK Constraints?
Date: 2008-05-30 21:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Howdy,

I just saw this in the docs:

> Finally, NATURAL is a shorthand form of USING: it forms a USING list
> consisting of exactly those column names that appear in both input
> tables. As with USING, these columns appear only once in the output
> table.

That sounds useful if I happen to have named my columns exactly the
same between the two tables, but couldn't a NATURAL JOIN follow the FK
constraints, instead? That would be so much more useful and much less
magical, I should think.

Thanks,

David

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Gurjeet SinghDate: 2008-05-30 21:18:51