PgAgent Job Scheduling-Backup

From: "Jayakumar_Mukundaraju" <Jayakumar_Mukundaraju(at)satyam(dot)com>
To: "Vishal Arora" <aroravishal22(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PgAgent Job Scheduling-Backup
Date: 2007-07-17 11:33:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

1) Run PgAgent.sql script in maintenance database (Postgres database by >default).
I copied that script and executied in Query tool, it is executed and i get that job icon tab.

2) Install PgAgent service using the following command on command >prompt -
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pgAgent" INSTALL pgAgent -u postgres -p XXXX hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=Postgres
I installed the pgAgent and it is running..( I checkied in Administrative tool>>Services>>> there PostgreSQL Scheduling Agent >> status is started

Replace the path of pgAgent if you are not using default installation path of Postgres
My pgAgent path is C:\Program FIles\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pgAgent

Replace XXXX with the password of OS User Postgres (One given while installing Postgres on windows) ????

dbname=postgres (change if your maintenance database is different.)
my Maintenance database is postgres.
3) Login using Postgres user account in windows. ?????

4) Try to access pgAdmin III tool in that login. (These two steps are required to create pgpass.conf file under Postgres login account.)
In pgpass file i have two logins and password, one is server login and another is Account name and password
5) Login back to your normal account.???
6) Start pgAgent service using the following command on command prompt Net start pgAgent
The command promopt is psql to postgresl prompt... postgres-# i entered Net start pgAgent.... The cursor comes next line that is postgres-# prompt
I entered in postgres-# pg_dump -f "D:\trial.sql" -apostgres -Upostgres... The cursor comes next line that is postgres-# prompt
7) Create a new job using PgAdmin III
Yes i created new jobs name is BACKUP

8) Under step tab click Add to add new step. :- Yes i created new steps
>* Specify some name : step name is B1
>* Kind - SQL / Batch depending upon the kind of job to be performed.
>* Database on which the job is to be performed.
>* Definition tab would contain a SQL command if kind selected is SQL :- In the step tab Definition place i entered @echo off "C:\Program FIles\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pg_dump" -Upostgres -f D:\test\test.sql -F p -C -d -Dpostgres @echo on and saved that tab.
>* Definition tab would contain path of Batch file if kind selected is
>Batch
>9) Under Schedule tab in Job window click Add to add new schedule for the job : - I did it i added BK1 as a schedule name
>* Specify some name
>* Specify the start date & time :- todays date and time is 30mnts
>* Specify the end date and time:- tomorrows date and time is 45 mnts
>* Specify days or weekdays, months when the task needs to be performed in days tab
>* Specify time hours & Minutes when you want the task to be performed. (Atleast One hour & minute to be selected.)
>* Specify exception if any when you do not want the task to be performed.
>10) All set to work.

This was only i did it.. Kindly guide me where i went wrong....

Thanks & Regards
Jayakumar M

DISCLAIMER: