Re: Anyone familiar with Apple Xserve RAID

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone familiar with Apple Xserve RAID
Date: 2004-08-26 12:07:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
Just starting to work with one now, so I'll let people know what I
find. There has been
some talk that the XServe RAID seems more optimized for streaming
applications rather than
heavy random-access type applications, which really wouldn't surprise
me given where they
probably expect to sell most of them (music/film). They gave us a very
good price break, as
we are in an industry they wanted exposure in (financial services). If
you want a pile of
storage at a good price point, its certainly worth considering.

The unit itself is built very well, and the admin tools are very good
(OS X only, though). It and the
cards that come in the XServes use copper SFP cables/connections, which
is good or
bad depending upon you're point of view. The switch Apple sells off of
their web site
is a Vixel (recently bought by Emulex).

I have XServes hooked up at the moment, which work fine. My production
DB machine
is a slackware box, which has tested out fine in initial tests with a
QLogic HBA and the stock in-kernel
drivers. They're also 'certified' to work with Emulex cards, but IIRC
Emulex doesn't do copper.
Emulex did open-source their driver code last year (right after I had
to change an client's install
from my beloved Slack to RHAS because Emulex only had version-specific
drivers....).

More as it happens.