Re: Re[2]: lower() for varchar data by creating an index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, gav <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru>, Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: lower() for varchar data by creating an index
Date: 2000-05-19 17:48:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Tom Lane writes:
>> What's the point of a notice? "You just deleted OID equals. Better
>> luck with your next database." Either we think this is too dangerous to
>> be allowed even to the dbadmin, or we don't.

> Anyway, shouldn't you be able to do CREATE FUNCTION xxx (...) LANGUAGE
> 'internal'; to recreate it? (And that wouldn't actually require things
> like oideq to be in pg_proc, would it?)

I was thinking that the CREATE needs to insert index entries, which
depends on having the datatype-specific procs that will be called by
the index access method. (Not sure if oideq is actually one of the
ones used by any of the indexes on pg_proc, but you get my drift.)

If I had some spare time I'd try it in a junk database...