Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,"Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-06 15:38:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> ... And since the file is not ".txt", it doesn't open with
> notepad when double-clicked - it brings up a weird dialog asking you if
> you want to go to a MS web service to get help to determine which
> program to use to open the file. And hell, it's a *textfile*, where is
> the GUI. If he can get past the double-click and hey-its-a-textfile,
> then the fact that it's in the *windows standard location* is not going
> to give him much problems, even if the standard location is hidden by
> default.

We were already speaking of getting rid of the leading dot.  If the name
is different at all from the Unix case, it'd be trivial to make it
"psqlrc.txt" and "pgpass.txt" (I don't think the other ones need to be
edited).

> Bottom line: I think you're greatly overestimating the trouble caused by
> the fact that the appdata folder is hidden.

Whether we're overestimating it or not, we have to make a decision and
we have to make it now.  This thread is singlehandedly delaying the 8.0
release.  Since I haven't seen any serious alternative proposed, I think
we have to go with the CSIDL_APPDATA reference point.

Given that decision it seems like the best names are

	APPDATA/postgresql/pgpass.txt
	APPDATA/postgresql/psqlrc.txt
	APPDATA/postgresql/psql_history
	APPDATA/postgresql/postgresql.crt