Re: Optimizing huge inserts/copy's

From: Zlatko Calusic <zlatko(at)iskon(dot)hr>
To: Jie Liang <jliang(at)ipinc(dot)com>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing huge inserts/copy's
Date: 2000-08-30 22:13:18
Lists: pgsql-sql
Jie Liang <jliang(at)ipinc(dot)com> writes:

> Hi, there,
>
> I tried different  ways,  include vaccum table ,  ensure index works, it
> still is as slow as ~100rows per minute.

PGFSYNC=no in postmaster.init?

Well, this might be Debian Linux specific, pardon me if it is. I have
just begun playing with Postgres. Still learning, myself.

IOW, disable fsync after every statement and your OS will do much
better work clustering writes. That means more inserts/sec for you.

In one of my tests I was able to insert at ~1000/sec rate. Then I made
an experiment, enabled pgfsync _and_ indexes. The inserting speed
dropped to 10/sec. Very interesting.

Regards,
--
Zlatko