Re: BUG #4929: Corrupted pg_class, possibly truncate/rollback related

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane), "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4929: Corrupted pg_class, possibly truncate/rollback related
Date: 2009-07-21 00:59:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

 > "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
 >> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1

 Tom> FWIW, there is a bug fix in 8.3.4 addressing possible HOT-chain
 Tom> corruption after a REINDEX of pg_class.  Not sure if that
 Tom> could've been the issue here.

I asked Robert about that when we were discussing it on IRC, and he
said that no such REINDEX had been done (and nor had ALTER TABLE
RENAME and ALTER TABLE SET SCHEMA been done on the affected table).

However I'm wondering if another 8.3.4 fix, the RecentGlobalXmin one,
could be relevant here?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-09/msg00105.php
(I'm not seeing how it would be, but... note that the xids have got
to the point that they'd appear to be in the past from the point of
view of FirstNormalTransactionId)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)