>>>>> "David" == "David E Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>> The other option would be to fix the wasted-space bug in the
>> existing hstore, and document that stored data must be updated at
>> least once subsequent to that fix before doing a binary migrate to
David> Could it be that only folks with such a manifestation of the
David> bug would need to do a binary upgrade? If so, I certainly
David> think it'd be worth it to fix the bug.
Let's go through the options.
- don't fix the wasted-space bug (or don't rely on it, anyway)
- change the new format to be more distinguishable
- seamless binary upgrade for contrib/hstore users
- users of unreleased CVS hstore-new will have to ensure all
values are updated after installing a release version and
before doing a binary upgrade to 8.5
- fix the wasted-space bug
- leave the new format as-is
- seamless binary upgrade for hstore-new users
- contrib/ users will have to remove wasted space from at least
any hstore with a zero-length key before doing a binary upgrade
To me (A) is looking like the obvious choice (the people smart enough
to be using hstore-new from CVS already can handle the minor pain of
updating the on-disk format).
Unless I hear any objections I will proceed accordingly...
In response to
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Dimitri Fontaine||Date: 2009-07-22 18:46:45|
|Subject: Extension Facility|
|Previous:||From: Robert Haas||Date: 2009-07-22 17:45:50|
|Subject: Re: revised hstore patch|