Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues
Date: 2009-03-22 11:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

 >> I'm hesitant to do that when we don't yet have either a design or
 >> a migration plan for the module facility.  We might find we'd shot
 >> ourselves in the foot, or at least complicated the migration
 >> situation unduly.

 Robert> I think there have been a few designs proposed, but I think
 Robert> part of the problem is a lack of agreement on the
 Robert> requirements.  "module facility" seems to mean a lot of
 Robert> different things to different people.

Some ideas:

 - want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo;  without needing to
   mess with .sql files.  This might default to looking for
   $libdir/foo.so, or there might be a mechanism to register packages
   globally or locally.

 - want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo VERSION 1;  and get
   the version 1 API rather than whatever the latest is.

 - want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo SCHEMA bar;  rather
   than having to edit some .sql file.

 - want to be able to do  DROP PACKAGE foo;

 - want pg_dump to not output the definitions of any objects that
   belong to a package, but instead to output an INSTALL PACKAGE foo
   VERSION n SCHEMA x;

--
Andrew.