Re: Adding CLUSTERING removed my indexes

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jon Hassen <jhassen(at)azstarnet(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding CLUSTERING removed my indexes
Date: 2002-02-22 17:39:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Jon Hassen <jhassen(at)azstarnet(dot)com> writes:
> > All of my indexes disappeared, and the permissions changed on my tables
> > after I ran the CLUSTER command on one of the indexes.
>
> > Is this normal?
>
> The present implementation of the CLUSTER command pretty much sucks (see
> the Notes on its reference page).  Sooner or later someone will rewrite
> it ...
>
> 			regards, tom lane

This is one of the things I like best about PostgreSQL.  Every
database I have ever used has had things that "sucked" in some way.
Either they had features that didn't work as advertised, or systems
that weren't well tested, or whatever.  PostgreSQL has its problems as
well, but at least the developers are honest about them.

There is nothing worse than building your application around a feature
that folds under pressure, and the PostgreSQL developers are more than
happy to put big warning signs around the features that still need
work, and I appreciate that.

Thanks Tom,

Jason