Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement
Date: 2010-06-22 15:51:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com (Thom Brown) writes:
>>    The PostgreSQL Global Development Team is proud to announce the release of
>>    PostgreSQL 9.0. This is the 31st release of the world's leading open
>>    source relational database system.
>>

> Hmm... saying 31st almost sounds like it's just another normal
> release.  Couldn't you make it something like "This landmark version
> marks the 31st release of..."

Equivocating a bit...

 - It *is* routine to let out new releases of PostgreSQL.

   Sufficiently routine that it has happened 31 times.  That there is
   a new release doesn't indicate a "landmark."

 - What is NOT routine, and, presumably, interesting to explain, is
   why this release was sufficiently "landmarkish" (and I'm not loving
   the use of the word "landmark" here, so it will correctly look like
   I'm making a bit of fun of its use :-)) to justify bumping from
   version 8.x to 9.0.

   I recall the Core reasons (at least, those that were expressed) to
   justify the 9.x bump being:

   - The enhancements to WAL replication
   - Availability of pg_migrator

   I might be a bit absent in my recall, but when explaining the 9.x
   bump, it's pretty apropos to jump back to "Why Did They Decide To
   Bump to 9.0?" and we can surely expect that the items that were at
   the root of that decision should be worth mentioning.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html