Re: [JDBC] Stored procedures/functions that can return recordsets...

From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier(at)tapsellferrier(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Remigius Stalder" <remigius(dot)stalder(at)descom-consulting(dot)ch>
Cc: "Peter Adamek Jr(dot)" <peter(dot)adamek(at)utoronto(dot)ca>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Stored procedures/functions that can return recordsets...
Date: 2002-12-23 18:50:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

"Remigius Stalder" <remigius(dot)stalder(at)descom-consulting(dot)ch> writes:

> Peter,
>
> The description of how to return record sets can be found here (sorry, but
> although I am not directly interested in returning record sets, I looked
> into the manual and found this passage in five minutes):
>
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/plpgsql-cursors.
> html
>
> (near the bottom, section 19.7.3.3. Returning Cursors)
> However, if that does not help, I can't provide further assistance.
>
> By the way - what is the difference between "functions" and "procedures" ?
> In my understanding, the PL/pgSQL functions ARE what is in other DBMSes
> called stored procedures, although they are not called so. If this is not
> the case, I would be interested in the difference of PL/pgSQL functions and
> "real" stored procedures. Of course I don't mean differences in the
> procedural language, because these languages are not standardized anywhay.

The only difference I'm aware of is that many other dbms stored proc
implementations pass values by reference (OUT parameters in PL/SQL
parlance) thus allowing values to be changed.

This is possible (I seem to recall) with C based stored procs using
pgsql but none of the stored proc languages, including pg/plsql,
supports it.

Nic