Buildfarm + Git tryouts

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Buildfarm + Git tryouts
Date: 2010-07-05 16:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I'm trying to start preparing buildfarm nodes for the upcoming Git
migration, and have run into a few issues.  I speculate that -hackers
is one of the better places for this to get discussed; if it should be
elsewhere, I'm sure Andrew Dunstan won't be shy to redirect this :-).

What I was hoping to do was to run nodes for a little while against
the repo at git:// to validate that
it all works against git.

The best instructions available thus far...

Unfortunately, I'm finding some anomalies in terms of differences
between my environments and what that suggests.

1.  git clone --mirror is apparently new in git version 1.6

  My somewhat mouldy Ubuntu node is on git 1.5.4, which doesn't
  include this.

  There's a workaround, as --mirror is just "syntactic sugar"

   $ git clone --mirror $URL
      may be replaced by
   $ git clone --bare $URL
   $ (cd $(basename $URL) && git remote add --mirror origin $URL)

  I see options:
   a) Require git 1.6 or so (latest stable is
   b) Offer the alternative mirror approach

2. seems to expect the repository directory to be called
    "pgsql" (around line #373)

    I wound up hacking up the code to head to a specific directory,
    which isn't a terribly good hack, but apparently works for now.

-               chdir 'pgsql';
+               chdir '/opt/build-farm/pgsql.git';

    It feels as though something's not quite right about how the
    nearby Git repository is referenced.

3.  Some problems checking status.

i) Status Line: 491 bad ts parameter - [timestamp omitted] is in the future

I know my clock's reasonable - ntp is reporting I'm within 0.25s of
some stratum 2 nodes.  Is it possible that the buildfarm server is

ii) Status Line: 460 script version too low

I just pulled a buildfarm build last week, so I'm not sure what this
would relate to.

That's where I've gotten thus far.  Node caracara isn't reporting in
just now because of this testing.  I hope other people ought to be
doing similar tryouts so that the revision effort to shift to Git
doesn't wait to *start* until the development repo shifts.
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
Rules of the Evil Overlord #77. "If I have a fit of temporary insanity
and decide to give  the hero the chance to reject a  job as my trusted
lieutentant,  I will  retain enough  sanity to  wait until  my current
trusted  lieutenant  is  out  of  earshot before  making  the  offer."