Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alexandru Cârstoiu <alexandru(dot)carstoiu(at)excelsarc(dot)ro>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-28 13:30:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alexandru Cârstoiu <alexandru(dot)carstoiu(at)excelsarc(dot)ro> writes:

> This tells me that the v3 protocol appeared at 7.4, so there's no need to
> support v2 in future database versions (starting with 8.3?). It would
> simplify code in interfaces like JDBC too.

I think the second half of this is correct. There would be no need to support
the old protocol in client interface drivers since the only supported
databases would all support the new protocol.

Whether there's any need to support the old protocol in the server depends on
whether there are any clients out there which use it which is harder to
determine and not affected by whether Postgres 7.3 is still around.

--
  Gregory Stark