Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Tollef Fog Heen <tollef(dot)fog(dot)heen(at)collabora(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-02-09 13:57:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
]] Magnus Hagander

| Seems reasonable to add this. Are there any scenarios where this can
| cause trouble, that would be fixed by having the ability to select
| non-standard behavior?

Well, it might be unwanted if you're on a pay-per-bit connection such as
3G, but in this case, it just makes the problem a bit worse than the
server keepalive already makes it – it doesn't introduce a new problem.

| I don't recall ever changing away from the standard behavior in any of
| my deployments, but that might be platform dependent?

If you were (ab)using postgres as an IPC mechanism, I could see it being
useful, but not in the normal case.

| If not, I think this is small and trivial enough not to have to push
| back for 9.1 ;)

\o/

--
Tollef Fog Heen