Software Developer/Database Applications
Purpose of Position:
Join a team developing cutting-edge systems for distribution of weather
data and other time-critical information. We are creating a
comprehensive, continuously-updating database within our central
facility, and then replicating subsets of this database at many remote
locations. The central database will contain weather, aviation, and
other timely data that are decoded, quality controlled, and processed to
increase their value over commodity data sources. Using database
replication techniques, transactions on the central database will be
serialized and logically filtered into groups for distribution. An
intelligent distribution system will deliver the appropriate subsets of
the serialized transactions to a large number of remote systems using a
combination of satellite broadcast and internet point-to-point delivery.
Through this process, a large number of dynamically-updated databases
are maintained, each with unique subset of the total content, to support
our suite of market-specific applications.
In this position, you will be responsible for implementation of
significant portions of the database replication system. Due to many of
its specific requirements, the replication cannot be achieved solely
through commercially available software. This provides an opportunity
to create and apply replication techniques in a new way.
You will also be responsible for design and implementation of testing
suites to simulate real world loads, revealing bottlenecks and breaking
points before the system is deployed. To enable monitoring of the
system by operational staff, you will also develop and/or customize
tools for detecting irregularities and diagnosing problems.
WSI, the premier provider of weather data and software to industry, is
located in a state-of-the-art facility north of Boston. A wholly-owned
subsidiary of Landmark Communications, we are a sister company to The
* Good knowledge of SQL and fundamentals of relational database
* Experience with database server-side programming, e.g. use of
triggers and stored procedures
* Experience writing database client applications in perl, C/C++,
* Experience with administration and configuration of database
servers. Knowledge of PostgreSQL is particularly desired.
* Experience with complex database systems such as one of the
* databases with large transaction rates and highly
* database replication that involves logical filtering to
replicate partial tables,
* integration of database systems separated over wide-area
* Appreciation for the rigor required to thoroughly test complex
systems for real-world environments.
* A thirst to tackle and solve difficult problems.
* BSCS or related degree.
* At least 5 years professional experience with complex systems
using relational databases.
Additional Skills (desired):
* Ability to refactor software for optimization or improved fault
For more information about job opportunities at WSI, please visit
To apply online, please send resume, including salary requirements to:
WSI Corporation Human Resources
pgsql-jobs by date
|Next:||From: Scott Weiner||Date: 2006-07-18 17:07:52|
|Subject: JOB: short-term postgres contract MA/RI|
|Previous:||From: Heather Johnson||Date: 2006-06-29 02:17:23|
|Subject: NEW YORK POST: ONLINE SYSTEMS ARCHITECT|