VACUUM ANALYZE

From: David Anthony <DavidA(at)tradeworld(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: VACUUM ANALYZE
Date: 2002-01-14 14:25:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I have a postgresql database with about 5 tables. On a nightly basis, all
the records in all 5 tables are deleted and repopulated with fresh data.
Some of the tables have between 30 000 and 80 000 records. I have been
looking through the docs to try and work out how best to optimize the
database as I have noticed a definite lag in response as the database grows.

1. I have placed indexes on the columns that are used in searching
2. when deleting all the records from a table I use TRUNCATE instead of
DELETE
3. the repopulation occurs via a perl script and at the end of the script I
run VACUUM ANALYZE on the database.

Any other things I should look at? Also, is there a way to check when the
last time VACUUM ANALYZE was run on the db. I am unsure whether the perl
script is running the command successfully.

Thanks
Dave