dell versus hp

From: Tore Halset <halset(at)pvv(dot)ntnu(dot)no>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dell versus hp
Date: 2007-11-06 10:12:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello.

We are planning to move from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL for our
production system. Bot read and write performance are equally
important. Writing is the bottleneck of our current MS SQL Server
system.

All of our existing servers are from Dell, but I want to look at some
other options as well. We are currently looking at rack boxes with 8
internal SAS discs. Two mirrored for OS, Two mirrored for WAL and 4 in
raid 10 for the base.

Here are our current alternatives:

1) Dell 2900 (5U)
8 * 146 GB SAS 15Krpm 3,5"
8GB ram
Perc 5/i. battery backup. 256MB ram.
2 * 4 Xeon 2,66GHz

2) Dell 2950 (2U)
8 * 146 GB SAS 10Krpm 2,5" (not really selectable, but I think the
webshop is wrong..)
8GB ram
Perc 5/i. battery backup. 256MB ram.
2 * 4 Xeon 2,66GHz

3) HP ProLiant DL380 G5 (2U)
8 * 146 GB SAS 10Krpm 2,5"
8GB ram
P400 raid controller. battery backup. 512MB ram.
2 * 2 Xeon 3GHz

All of those alternatives cost ca the same. How much (in numbers)
better are 15K 3,5" than 10K 2,5"? What about the raid controllers?
Any other alternatives in that price-range?

Regards,
- Tore.