Re: US Date Style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: US Date Style
Date: 2000-04-20 18:14:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> With a little bit of grepping through the docs I have
> found something that will mostly work for me. I
> simply need to have each client issue a:

> SET DATESTYLE TO 'Postgres';

> This works just fine, but (of course) I would rather
> have this set up as the 'default.' Does anyone know
> how to do this?

PGDATESTYLE (note spelling) as an environment variable in the
environment of either the postmaster or the client application
will do it. If you start the postmaster with that in its environment,
it becomes the default setting for all backends in that installation.
If you start a (libpq-based) client with that in its environment,
libpq will issue the SET DATESTYLE command for you during connection
startup.