Re: Missing results from scroll cursor in PostgreSQL 8.3.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Missing results from scroll cursor in PostgreSQL 8.3.3?
Date: 2008-09-25 16:27:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Following up a report on the PostGIS bugtracker (also submitted to
> pgsql-bugs here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-09/msg00086.php), I'm
> wondering if there is a bug in the way that GiST indexes interact with
> scroll cursors.

I remember Teodor remarking that there's some problem with fetching
backwards in a GIST indexscan, but I don't know the details --- in
particular, no idea whether it's fixable or we need to put in something
to prevent trying it. The latter would be a bit of a PITA since right
now indexscans are assumed to support backwards scan regardless of
index type.