Re: BUG #3691: bug in pg_restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Maryz" <mairambija(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3691: bug in pg_restore
Date: 2007-10-22 16:51:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Maryz" <mairambija(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Restore:
> pg_restore.exe -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -a postgres --format=c -a -i
> --disable-triggers -t other.itm_blygis -v dmp\other.itm_blygis.out

pg_restore's -t switch doesn't do schemas. You need something like
-n other -t itm_blygis
instead. This is something we should improve someday, but it's not a
bug --- it's operating as designed.

Actually, given that you selected only the one table while dumping, the
whole thing is a waste of typing effort, as are many of the other
switches you used. There's no need to tell pg_restore not to restore
stuff that's not in the dump file, hm?

Another bit of advice: do not use the -i switch for either of these
programs. Ever. I do not know why the meme has spread that this switch
is a good thing to use by default. What it is is a large-caliber foot
gun.