Re: postmaster locks up in 7.1b3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul A Vixie <vixie(at)vix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster locks up in 7.1b3
Date: 2001-07-15 05:00:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Paul A Vixie <vixie(at)vix(dot)com> writes:
>> As far as Postgres is concerned, there's no deadlock here, only a slow client

> that could be true if we used explicit locks.  all our accesses are of the
> form "learn everything you need to know to do the transaction, then open the
> database, do it, and close".  there are some really long SELECT's (which make
> dns zone files) but they can't block unless the file system is blocking the
> write()'s in the client, which would only happen in NFS, which we don't use.

Well, my point was that it could happen just on the basis of the
*implicit* read lock grabbed by a SELECT.  All you'd need is a client
that's stuck partway through a transaction for some external reason.
However, it sounds like you've taken care to avoid that possibility,
so the theory does seem shaky.