Re: Data Partition is Growing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Darretta <michael(dot)darretta(dot)ctr(at)metnet(dot)navy(dot)mil>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data Partition is Growing
Date: 2004-09-30 01:13:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Mike Darretta <michael(dot)darretta(dot)ctr(at)metnet(dot)navy(dot)mil> writes:
> I'm an application developer trying to understand a pg data partition
> issue. We are storing large objects (gifs) at a rate of about 1GIG /day.
> After about a week, most of the objects are recycled -- that is, an
> insert triggers a delete of a similar object. The postgres data
> partition, though, continues to grow, even though the objects are
> successfully deleted from the application *and* largeobject tables.

You need to check your free-space-map settings --- it sounds like the
FSM is not large enough to keep track of all the free space in
pg_largeobject.

If you do a "vacuum verbose" across the whole database, the tail end of
the (voluminous) printout will tell you something about where you need
to set the FSM parameters.