Postres DBA Opening

From: Dave Barrett <dbjester(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postres DBA Opening
Date: 2010-06-01 23:17:32
Lists: sfpug

To whom it may concern-

I am a recruiter working for a start-up company in San Mateo who is
looking to hire a Postgres DBA. It is my hope that this is the
appropriate contact list for a such a posting. A response one way or
the other would be greatly appreciated as I would like to maintain
professional standards for future openings.

best regards,

Dave Barrett
Maximum Impact
Staffing Consultant

PostgreSQL Database Administrator Job Description:

Aggregate Knowledge, a fast growing company backed by top-tier venture
capital, is pioneering the new category discovery as an on-line
service. As a result of our rapid growth, we are looking for senior
engineers to join and help grow our world-operations team.
Your responsibilities will focus on service delivery: designing,
implementing, and maintaining a best-in-class infrastructure with
strict availability and performance requirements. You'll be expected
to work across functional boundaries, contribute to process
development, and participate in an on-call rotation.
The most important job requirement is the ability, experience, and
desire to provide a computationally intensive service, non-stop. Your
troubleshooting skills should be top-notch, and your communication
skills should be strong. We'd like to see experience in at least a few
key areas: performance analysis, advanced storage systems, network
engineering, and infrastructure/support systems.

Responsibilities:

• Rotating 24x7 On-call support
• Develop high performance relational databases to store
content, user personalization information, and billing/tracking data,
etc. Develop and implement maintenance and administration procedures
for the database systems.
• Ensures that backups are performed regularly on all databases.
• Work closely with software engineers to develop and maintain
stored procedures, compiled SQL, etc. Ensure that data access methods,
database kernel patches, APIs, etc. are kept current.
• Develop a system for gathering database performance metrics.
Using these metrics, develop a plan to ensure that database systems
are correctly configured for optimal performance. Manage and/or
participate in implementation of database system tuning, to ensure
optimal performance.
• Ensure that database systems are adequately monitored.
Develop and implement a plan to ensure maximum reliability and
availability of database systems. Proactively monitor database system
status to determine early warning signs of problems.
• Author and maintain scripts to perform various aspects of
administration. The DBA will document these scripts and maintain them
in the source repository.

Requirements:

• 5 years experience as a DBA
• 3 years experience of Postgres administration and tuning in a
Linux environment
• Must have strong knowledge of data relationships, data
normalization
• SQL, Perl, python, ruby, bash, C or other scripting experience
• Understanding of LVM, SAN and RAID
• Cacti, Nagios, or other monitoring and metrics tools
• Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a fast paced growing
and evolving service delivery system
• Ability to manage projects through their entire life cycle
• Excellent communication skills

Candidate must be able to troubleshoot and resolve network,
application, and systems issues expediently. Candidates must be
flexible to work rotating shifts in a 24 x 7 environment. Candidate
must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Occasional visits to our local data center will be needed, so
transportation is a necessity.

*Please send resumes to dbarrett(at)maximumhr(dot)com