Re: [Dbdpg-general] benchmarking old Pg and DBD::Pg

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: dbdpg-general(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Dbdpg-general] benchmarking old Pg and DBD::Pg
Date: 2005-04-08 22:17:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Let's slow down and back up a bit. First, what version of
PostgreSQL are you using to compile DBD::Pg, and what version
are you connecting to? Many of the things being discussed
have already been solved if you are running a modern version
of PG (e.g. 7.4 or greater).

The binding is already handled quite well: we use PQprepare
whenever possible. The default of type "VARCHAROID" is mostly
cosmetic, so that some other things work: we actually send
a type "unknown" (0) if no type is specified for a placeholder
via bind_param. (see the "defaultval" of the placeholder
struct). Older servers may benefit from the VARCHAROID change
however, so I will see about making that change.

The stuff in types.c could certainly use some cleaning up, but
it is also not really used anymore - we let the server do all
the quoting for us now via PQexecPrepared and PQexecParams.

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200504081815