Re: Problem with rule and null value

From: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marc Boucher <marcb(at)box100(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with rule and null value
Date: 2004-10-24 10:12:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>    ON UPDATE TO album WHERE new.pls_id != old.pls_id

> It works until new.pls_id or old.pls_id is null. The rule is still called
> (based on my test), but the "DO" query is not executed correctly. The
> values in "album_edit" are not updated.

To compare "NULL" to something is allways a bad idea. The behaviour in
Postgres is exactly as documented and specified within the

BUT... that is quite different from what you would expect.

To test on "NULL" values within SQL only "is null" is helpfull.

I would strongly recommend to you to read the appropriate chapters
about Null-Values. It seems strange at first but managable.