Re: win32 version info

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: win32 version info
Date: 2004-07-26 18:37:42
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> This patch along with the attached files (.tar.gz unpacks in src/) adds
> VERSIONINFO to all binaries under win32.

Ya know, this is the sort of invasive junk that I was afraid people
would try to force on us for the Windows port :-(.

Can't you localize this into a single build rule somewhere?  And surely
we do not need to maintain a boilerplate .rc file for every executable.

> Finally, the patch adds an elephant icon to psql.exe (so it'll go nicely
> in the start menu for example).

You need a lot better reason than that to convince me to put a binary
file into CVS.