Re: BUG #5345: non-administrator users cannot create databases with special encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zoltan Kovacs" <kovzol(at)particio(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5345: non-administrator users cannot create databases with special encoding
Date: 2010-02-24 16:00:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Zoltan Kovacs" <kovzol(at)particio(dot)com> writes:
> I would like to create a database using SQL_ASCII encoding, but it is not
> allowed for a normal user, only for the postgres user.

There is an exception that will allow superusers to do that, but it's
not a good idea for them either. The problem is not the encoding per
se, it's that it's unsafe in combination with a locale setting that
assumes UTF8. The only safe locale for SQL_ASCII is C.

If you want to have one database that is C/SQL_ASCII and others that
have different locale settings, you need to upgrade to PG 8.4. 8.3
can only have one locale across the entire installation.