Re: SQL function inlining (was: View vs function)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tambet Matiisen" <t(dot)matiisen(at)aprote(dot)ee>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL function inlining (was: View vs function)
Date: 2005-03-23 16:55:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Tambet Matiisen" <t(dot)matiisen(at)aprote(dot)ee> writes:
> I observed slowdowns when I declared SQL function as strict. There were
> no slowdowns, when I implmented the same function in plpgsql, in fact it
> got faster with strict, if parameters where NULL. Could it be
> side-effect of SQL function inlining? Is there CASE added around the
> function to not calculate it, when one of the parameters is NULL?

IIRC we will not inline a STRICT SQL function if the resulting
expression would not behave strict-ly.  This is clearly a necessary rule
because inlining would change the behavior otherwise.  But the test for
it is pretty simplistic: CASEs are considered not strict, period.  So I
think you are measuring the difference between inlined and not-inlined.

I'd suggest just leaving off the STRICT if you are writing a SQL
function you hope to have inlined.