Re: Can't get list of databases with \list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Frank <c(dot)frank(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't get list of databases with \list
Date: 2009-11-02 19:30:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Christopher Frank <c(dot)frank(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Issuing a query of "\list" using jdbc doesn't seem to work:

Nope, it won't, because \list is a psql-ism.

If you want to exactly duplicate that you could run psql with -E and
look at the queries it issues and copy them (but beware that they are
backend-version-dependent). However, I was under the impression that
JDBC had its own set of standard metadata inquiry operations. You'd
probably be better off using those if they cover what you need.

I'm not sure how many JDBC hackers hang out here; you might be better
advised to ask on the pgsql-jdbc list.