Re: Sockets and posgtres

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: J S B <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sockets and posgtres
Date: 2006-09-27 14:46:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:25 PM, J S B wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to make my database a client for an external unix based
> deamon process acting as a server.
> I was thinking of writing some clinet application in a shared
> object in the database (same as what we do with socket programing)
> that does other Db
> related activities as well.
> Would be a right thing to do or we have specific tools available in
> postgres to accomplish such kind of things.

If I'm understanding what you're trying to do (have a function
connect to an external process?), I don't think anything exists right
now. But it shouldn't be too hard to write something to do that. You
might want to create a generic utility and put it on pgFoundry in
case others find it useful. Oracle has a package that allows for TCP
(as well as other communications) from the database; looking at their
interface might be useful.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net