freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?
Date: 2000-01-29 22:51:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I was rather bemused to discover just now that the node-freeing
functions in nodes/freefuncs.c are never called from anywhere;
in fact, the module hasn't got a single exported entry point!

(I expect that freeObject() is supposed to be an external entry
point; perhaps it got demoted to a static during one of Bruce's
periodic get-rid-of-unreferenced-global-symbols passes.)

So much for all that tedious labor to maintain the freeXXX functions
every time we update a node type ;-)

Now I am not quite sure what to do.  I was intending to use freeObject
to clean up rule qual/action trees during relcache flush --- up to now,
that cache data has been permanently leaked by any relcache flush
affecting a relation with rules.  But if freefuncs.c hasn't actually
been used in a long time, it may well be suffering serious bit-rot.
I am worried about turning it on just before beta.  I am especially
worried about turning it on for use only in a seldom-taken code path ---
if there are bugs in it, we may not find them until after release.

Should I chicken out and let the memory leak persist until we start
7.1 development cycle?  Or go for it and hope the code's OK?

Next:From: Ross J. ReedstromDate: 2000-01-30 00:21:55