Re: List traffic

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: List traffic
Date: 2010-05-27 20:08:34
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-chat pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> On 5/27/10 8:38 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
>> Mot administration
>> questions are originally posed as general help questions. If you're
>> subscribed to these lists you get a random, fairly small, subset of
>> discussion related these topics.

> Only someone who is a postgresql developer would consider 15-30
> posts/day "small". For most of our user base, the level of traffic on
> -performance, -sql, and -general is already too high and many people
> don't subscribe to these lists because it is too high. I get complaints
> -- and people personal-sending me questions because they don't want to
> subscribe -- all the time.

> Having fewer posts on any particular list is *desireable*. It's a good
> thing. It's *only* a problem when a bug report or user question goes
> unanswered because the list is unattended. And so far, I've only seen
> one report of that.

Well, there's no free lunch. If we have a whole lot of "small" lists
there are going to be two big downsides: fewer people reading each list
(hence fewer answers), and many more arguably-misclassified postings,
thus diluting the theoretical targetedness of the lists.

If you want good answers to questions you need to post them in a forum
where there are enough people to ensure someone will know the answer
(and have the time/interest to respond). People who want answers and
don't want to have to read other discussions should consider obtaining
commercial support.