Re: [INTERFACES] NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bishop <james(dot)bishop(at)jrc(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding
Date: 1999-09-24 22:36:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Bishop <james(dot)bishop(at)jrc(dot)it> writes:
> to be reliable. Since compiling PostgreSQL 6.5.2 I have seen "NOTICE:
> unrecognized variable client_encoding" messages, although data do not
> appear to be getting lost or corrupted. Is this message important, or
> can I safely ignore it?

Evidently you compiled the server without the MULTIBYTE option, but
are invoking it with a client whose libpq was compiled with the option.
libpq is trying to tell the server what multibyte character set it
wants to use, and the server is responding that it hasn't got that
feature.

If you aren't worried about non-US-ASCII characters then leaving
MULTIBYTE off is good; otherwise you may want to rebuild with it on.
In any case, to get rid of the notice you'd need to build the client
library with the same options as the server.

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Jyry KuukkanenDate: 1999-09-25 08:03:56